Maui is renowned worldwide for many things: its beauty, its atmosphere, its history, and its never-ending supply of pristine beaches, waterfalls, and gardens – to name a few. It is no exaggeration to say that Maui offers a little something for everyone.
Maui is the second largest of the Hawaiian Islands, with a population of about 131,000 on 160 square miles (418km²) and it consists of five major islands: Maui itself (the largest island), Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe and Molokini.
Maui’s most famous landmark is probably Hana, located at the eastern end of Maui and boasting a spectacular natural pool.
Ancient Hawaiians called Hana Nani Ho’opae (Children of the Sea) and regarded the area around this sacred pool as a living legend from Hawaiian mythology. The pool is fed by a tiny, 7-mile-long freshwater river that flows from a spring near the top of the dormant volcano Haleakalā.
Read our popular article - Big Island Travel Guide: Top Things to Do on Hawaii Vacation
Planning your Trip
Best Time to Visit Maui: Maui’s weather and climate are mostly the same across the islands. However, there are two main differences:
(1) It rains more in Hana than in Kona, and
(2) it is considerably drier on the leeward side of the island than it is on the windward side.
Outside of Hana, Maui’s weather is similar to that of any other large island in Hawaii as it has a temperate climate—that is, it can be rainy at times but not generally cold. The two most important factors to consider when planning your trip to Maui are the weather and the season.
Not surprisingly, the best time to visit Maui is actually during the dry season—that is, between November and April. During the wet season (May-October), you should plan to stay at a hotel with air conditioning or drive around in a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
If you want beach time, you can’t beat October and November—which are some of the only months without rain in Hana. However, if you want to avoid crowds, go during spring break between Christmas and Easter.
Within the main cities of Maui (Lahaina, Kahului, and Kihei), you can get by with $75–100 per day for accommodation and food. Hana is a different story; accommodations there are more expensive—ranging from $150 to $400 per night—and so you’ll need around $250–300 per day.
(This figure includes both budget- and four-star-level lodging. On Maui, you can easily find a good hotel and restaurant for $100/night.)
What to Pack for Traveling?
It’s generally warm in Maui; the island is not usually considered wet and cold. Plus, the climate is humid and comfortable year round, so you can wear shorts and swimsuits most of the time.
Bring a hat when hiking:
The tropical sun can get very hot. Some days are so humid that you could even feel uncomfortable without it.
Pack a raincoat:
You should pack some warm protective gear every time you travel on the island. The rain is relatively light; it will likely pass quickly and leave you dry in no time. If it’s raining while you are on your trip, however, you may want to check into a local hotel or the nearest shopping mall for 15 minutes or so.
Pack a warm jacket:
Maui is a tropical island, but nights can get cool at higher elevations (i.e., above 3,000 feet). The nights can be cool, and some areas of the island can experience short thunderstorms. In addition, it’s a good idea to pack a jacket (or sweater for men) for cold days in Hana or on the north side of Maui.
This is because there are only two seasons on Maui: warm summer and winter. The winter months tend to be milder than the summer months. The summer temperatures vary from 70 to 80 degrees; on the other hand, winter temperatures are between 55 and 65 degrees.
This is especially true if you are planning to go surfing.
Even though Maui is warm, the sun can still burn your skin here. You should always use sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher) at all times when travelling on Maui (much like you would in any other place). You should also wear a hat and sunglasses; the tropical sun can be very intense.
Bring your mosquito repellent:
Even though there are few mosquitoes on Maui, you should always carry some with you. This may seem like overkill, but mosquitoes can suck blood and leave marks that take time to heal. Plus, the itching can be unbearable. Mosquitoes are most active in the early morning and late afternoon/early evening.
Pack comfortable walking shoes:
You’ll walk a lot on Maui. As beautiful as it is, the island is also quite hilly. Plus, you could accidentally stumble into a muddy puddle or get your shoes wet by stepping in a stream. Don’t forget that you’ll be climbing mountains and hiking trails (probably barefoot), so make sure to wear comfortable shoes.
Bring some flip-flops:
Flip-flops are helpful for going out at night. There is no need to pack any heavy shoes for this trip. Besides, flip-flops are very easy to pack. Plus, you can wear them with anything and look stylish.
Bring an umbrella:
Maui gets overcast at times, and there are times when it becomes quite rainy. In addition, you should bring an umbrella if you plan to visit Hana because the weather there can be unpredictable at best.
Pack a light sweater:
Maui is tropical, so it gets very warm. Even at night, you’ll still feel the heat while walking around in your hotel rooms at the beach. So, make sure to pack a light sweater for cool nights indoors.
You may also want to pack casual sandals or flip-flops for your beach trips. You’ll be spending the majority of your time on foot, so the shoes you bring with you should be in good shape.
Pack a camera:
If you like photography, don’t forget to pack your camera along with plenty of film. Maui will provide unique opportunities for some stunning shots.
Pack a bathing suit:
You’ll need one for those times when you want to take a dip in the ocean or visit the hotel swimming pool after a long day of sightseeing or hiking.
10 Best Things to do in Maui
1. Sunset Cruises
Maui offers many opportunities to see the sunset. Maui has spectacular sunsets that are breathtaking. If you are into seeing the sunset, you can take a sunset cruise (either by sail or power boat) to see the stunning beauty of nature.
2. Swim with Dolphins
Do you have always wanted to swim with Dolphins? Well, you can do it as they make quite an appearance on Maui. If you are into swimming with dolphins, then Maui is the place to be. This event occurs in the summer and has become a huge success that attracts thousands of tourists every year.
If you are looking for something adventurous that would test your skills, kayaking in Maui will definitely do the trick.
4. Stand Up Paddle boarding
If you are looking for a sport that does not require lots of money and is fun, then try stand up paddle boarding. It is a great experience because it makes you feel like you are surfing on water. You will feel exhilarated and happy as you will see nature in a whole new perspective.
5. Scuba Diving
The best thing about scuba diving in Maui is that it is reasonably priced. If you are looking to get into scuba diving, then this can be the perfect place to do so.
6. Jet Boating
If you are looking for a fun experience that is not that expensive, then jet boating in Maui can be a good pick for you. As it gets its energy from the ocean’s current, it allows you to feel the power of nature.
Scuba diving is not the only way to dive in Hawaii. If you are looking for something different and fun, then snorkeling would be perfect for you.
Surfing in Hawai’i is a sport that is enjoyed by many people and is the place to be.
If you are looking for an adventure that makes your heart beat faster, then hiking in Maui would be perfect for you. You will definitely feel rejuvenated and happy while enjoying this experience.
If you are looking for a relaxing activity, then swimming in the ocean near Maui is perfect for you.
Tours Around Maui
1. Sunset Cruise with Champagne from Lahaina- This is a great sightseeing tour that includes a champagne toast. This tour is also perfect if you are looking for a romantic experience with your loved one.
2. Thrill Seekers Tour along the Road to Hana- This is a tour that includes a thrilling road to the Hana Bay. This is a great pick if you are looking for a thrilling experience with your friends or family.
3. Molokini and Turtle Town Snorkel with Deli Lunch- This is a tour that includes snorkeling and the famous Molokini Crater. If you are looking for an unforgettable experience, this is the tour.
4. Mountaintop Sunrise Tour to Haleakala National Park- This is a tour that takes you to the top of the Haleakala Volcano. This will be an experience of a lifetime as you will be able to see different viewpoints and watch the sunrise.
5. Full-Day Guided Sightseeing Tour on the Road to Hāna- This is a guided sightseeing tour that includes a route to the Hana Bay and Haleakala Volcano. This is a great experience for couples and friends.
6. Sunset Dinner Cruise in Ka’anapali – This is an unforgettable experience as you will be able to watch the sunset and dine with your loved ones at the same time.
7. Ka’anapali Beach Segway Tour- This is a tour that includes a segway tour and beautiful views of the beach and water. This is a great experience for kids and adults alike.
8. Maui’s Best ZipLine and Waterfall Tour- This is a tour that includes a zip line adventure and swimming pool. This is the most popular zip line tour in Maui.
9. Underground Haleakala Tour- This is a tour that includes the valleys of Haleakala and includes wide views of Kaupulehu Valley, Oheo Gulch, Waikamoi Nature Trail, as well as souvenirs for every participant.
10. Snorkeling & Scuba Diving in Maui- This is a tour that offers snorkeling and scuba diving in Wailuku Bay. It includes a boardwalk that has tropical fish and corals that are scenic.
What to Eat in Maui
1. Aloha Mixed Plate- This is the standard plate that every restaurant in Ha ’iku serves. It is served with some type of fish, rice, and green vegetables. This mixed plate is a must-try on your trip to Maui. You can find the Aloha Mixed Plate in almost every restaurant in Ha’iku.
2. Haupia – If you are looking for something delicious that is also healthy, then this is the perfect dish for you to try.waii serves. It includes sushi, musubi, kalua pork, lau lau and some poi.
2. Geste Shrimp Truck- This is a traditional plate that is made from shrimp and vegetables. When you are looking for a cheap option, this is the best thing to order.
3. Haliimaile General Store- This is a traditional plate that is made from fish and rice with poi. This is a great choice for a cheap and filling option.
4. Jawz- This is a traditional plate that is made from meat and rice. It is also a mixture of different vegetables, seafood and fruits.
5. Sansei Sushi- This is a restaurant that has a variety of options. All of the options are made with the freshest fish and vegetables.
Places to Stay in Maui
1. Royal Lahaina Resort- This is a resort that is affordable. The rooms are big and it has a great view of the ocean.
2. Hana-Maui Resort- This is a luxury resort that is located near the Hana Bay and has a great view of the Hana Bay. The service is excellent and all of the amenities are top notch.
3. Maui Kaanapali Villas- This is a luxury resort that is affordable. It offers magnificent views of the ocean and you can also enjoy the services that have been carefully designed. For example, they have a 24-hour business center, fitness center, complimentary breakfast and other services.
4. Montage Kapalua Bay- This is a luxury resort that has amazing views of the ocean. The service is completely top notch and the amenities are excellent. You can also enjoy the two swimming pools, shopping and spa services.
5. The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua- This is a luxury resort that has outstanding views of the ocean. It combines the best of all worlds with its ambience, food, service and attention to detail. The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua is one of those places that you will never want to leave.
6. Wailea Grand Resort- This is a luxury resort that has outstanding views of the ocean. The service is superb and all of the amenities are top notch. Guests can also enjoy games such as shuffleboard or tennis or ride the wave pool.
7. Four Seasons Resort Maui- This is a luxury resort that is located in the center of Maui. The service is excellent and all of the amenities are top notch.
8. Sheraton Maui- This is a luxury resort that has outstanding views of the ocean and it has a great view of Hana Bay. Guests can also enjoy the natural beauty of this place with its outdoor pool, spa services, dining options and other amenities.
9. Wailea Beach Marriott- This is a luxury resort that has amazing views of the ocean. The service is completely top notch and the amenities are excellent. It also has a 24-hour business center, fitness center and other amenities.
10. Maui Sands Hotel- This is a hotel that offers low rates and great location (near the beaches). The prices are very good for an average hotel room; you get your money’s worth at this place.